When was the last time you tried to sneak out of the house without your spouse or kids hearing you? Oh, you were being ‘good’ – you were planning a wonderful surprise and had to pick up a few last minute items. You ever-so-quietly grabbed the keys and your purse or wallet, then slowly crept through the door leading out to the garage. You silently opened the car door and even closed it without the slightest sound. Impressive! Everyone was on the other end of the house, so all was good to go – you made it! Until…
you hit the garage door button and the screeching brought the whole clan up wondering who was home or who was leaving! Caught! “Where are you going?” “Can I come?” “Why were you trying to sneak out?”
So much for the surprise…
Maybe it’s time for a little garage door lubricating! Your garage door needs a little regular maintenance to keep it operating smoothly and safely. Geauga Door technicians perform tune-ups hundreds of times each year. For a thorough job, call and set up an appointment.
If you prefer to do it yourself, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Wipe out tracks, or vacuum if needed, to remove debris that may catch the rollers.
- Put a drop of regular engine oil on each roller and allow the rolling action to draw it into the bearings. Do not use grease as a lubricant as it will just gum up the tracks and collect debris.
- Lightly lubricate any bearings and garage door hinges.
- Check the spring to make sure that it is lightly lubricated. If it gets dried out, it will clump and jam up your system.
- If you have a chain-drive system, make sure the chain is lubricated.
- Check the garage door itself and lightly oil connections.
If this sounds a bit too time consuming and you aren’t feeling up to the challenge, our technicians can do it in a jiffy! As an overhead door company that has been in business since 1967, we know all about repairs and maintenance! Give us a call today.
A garage door is a good sized investment for any home owner. Take time for proper maintenance, and you will enjoy years of trouble free operation. And the next time you need to sneak out, you won’t get the third degree!